Saturday, September 28, 2013

The Past

Some things in my past I would prefer not to remember. In fact I've been able to block out most of the bad memories. I was just reading old blogs & remembered when my friend Heather died. She died in a car accident. She was sitting on Interstate 81 near Winchester headed South back home. She had picked up her son Zack & his roommate from college at West Virginia University. They were sitting in traffic stopped on the interstate due to construction. There was a PT Cruiser in front of her. A tractor trailer driver who wasn't paying attention & was probably texting & driving slammed into her vehicle sending her spinning into the PT Cruiser. When both vehicles stopped spinning the passenger in the PT Cruiser got out to go help Heather escape from her vehicle. Heather managed to unbuckle Zack's seatbelt & the man busted Zack's window. Heather was trapped & so was Zack's roommate in the back seat. Heather's Jeep burst into flames & there wasn't time to get them out before the Jeep exploded. The people around tried to get them out but it was too late. Heather & Zack's roommate burned alive in the Jeep. Don't you know the Tracor Trailer Driver was never charged with the murders, never charged with anything even though he had prior Traffic Convictions. It was his fault, he wasn't paying attention & took 2 innocent lives. Zack is without a mother & a best friend now. After that he didn't want to go back to school but you really can't blame him. But Heather would have wanted him to finish. She busted her butt to send him to college working overtime at work. Heather was cremated & they didn't have a funeral. Zack didn't want a funeral & Marylou & Wayne didn't argue with him. The family took it real hard & so did everyone else. Heather was a very likeable person, if you met her you'd instantly like her. She didn't care what people thought, she formed her own opinion. She was my friend & my Manager at the Kangaroo Express Gas Station. When I first started working there it was called Etna & Heather's mom Mary Lou worked though. Things changed after it became Kangaroo Express, a corporate owned company. Mary Lou quit after that but I'm not sure what the exact reason was. I feel they treated her wrong though and that's why she quit. While I was working at Kangaroo Express I was also working Full Time at Alcoa & Heather's brother Shawn worked there also. That's how I met Heather through her brother & mother. And then I met her sister Melissa. Melissa reminds me a lot of Heather but they are also different in ways, not a bad thing though. Melissa & I are still friends to this day & I'm glad because she's great person. She sure knows how to cheer me up & brighten my days. I'm glad I still have Melissa, there is no one one else like a Santor. They are kind hearted, funny people who will do anything for you. So Heather was working Full Time at Best Buy & she came to work at Kangaroo. I remember her becoming Manager of the Staunton store but she got screwed & got sent to the Charlottesville store as Manager. I transfered to the Charlottesville store & that's where our friendship started. Heather was a funny person, she could always make you laugh or put a smile a smile on your face. I stopped working at the Kangaroo because I joined the Army. I had worked with company for 3 & a half years. Heather & I stayed in touch over the years & we even hung out a few times. One thing I regret though is not staying in touch as often. If only I could talk to Heather one more time or spend one more day with her. I miss Heather still, I can't remember how long its been since she's been gone but I miss her. I still have dreams about her & that night. She'll always be in my thoughts & in my heart.

No comments: