Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Google Search: Bean Family

I have done a lot of research on the Bean family side on Ancestry.com but haven't done much further than that. See my Dad was born Johann Kirchner and ended up getting adopted by Allen & Irene Bean while Allen was in the Army stationed in Germany. So my Dad was adopted by them, and as far as my Dad's side of the family goes they are the only grandparents that I know of. I don't know much at all really about my Dad's birth parents. I never knew them so I consider the Bean's my Grandparents. However I didn't get to really meet my Grandpa Bean because he died one month after I was born. I was told he got to hold me after I was born and a month later which was in May, he died. My Grandma Bean I got to spend more time with. She lived in Townsend, Tennessee and we stayed there a lot when I was a kid. She died in 1988 though so I didn't get to spend as much time with her as I would have liked. Something I found on a website: Bean Name Meaning English: metonymic occupational name for a grower or seller of beans, from Old English bean ‘beans’ (a collective singular). Occasionally it may have been applied as a nickname for a someone considered of little importance.English: nickname for a pleasant person, from Middle English bene ‘friendly’, ‘amiable’ (of unknown origin; there is apparently no connection with Bain or Bon).Scottish: Anglicized form of the Gaelic personal name Beathán, a diminutive of beatha ‘life’.Translation of German Bohne, or an altered spelling of Biehn. See also Bihn.Mistranslation of French Lefevre. As the vocabulary word fèvre ‘smith’ was replaced by forgeron, the meaning of the old word became opaque, and the surname was reinterpreted as if it were La fève, from fève ‘(fava) bean’. Lefevre is the most common name in French Canada; great numbers of them migrated to the US, where many adopted the name Bean, in the belief that it was a translation of Lefèvre. See also Lafave. Here is something else I found, I am guessing my family originated from Scotland. Not sure though, I don't I ever got that far back in my family research. Our Bean family line originates with William Bean, of the Clan MacBean, who was born about 1635 in Inverness Shire, Scotland. This history traces this Bean line four generations to Elizabeth (Bean) Russell, wife of George Russell, born in 1723 in Northumberland County, Virginia. The Beans and Russells were well established in Pittsylvania County, Virginia in the mid-1700's. There were many intermarriages and the families migrated together to colonize what later became Blount County, Tennessee. Basic forms of the Bean surname include Bean , Bain, Bane, Bayne, Vean, Beth, Beath, Binney, MacBean , Macbean, Mackbean, M'Bean, MacVean, MacIivain, MacVain, MacVane, MacBain, McBain, MacBane, MacBayne, MacBeth, MacBeath, MacBan. (Across the centuries, in common with all ancient Highland clans, there was no "correct" or even uniform spelling of MAC BAIN. However, MacBean was, perhaps, most frequently used.) The Gaelic version is pronounced MacBheathain (Son of the Lively One). The main character in Shakespeare's MacBeth was MacBeth MacBean. The Clan MacBean Motto is "Touch Not A Catt Bot A Targe" meaning that as a Cat Clan, you do not want to mess with us unless you have protection. The Targe is a shield made of wood or metal and rawhide. It was part of the armor used in battle. An English and Scottish surname, Bean comes from the Middle English term ‘bene’ which refers to the growing or selling of beans and to a pleasant person. There is also the Gaelic term ‘betha’ which means life. The spelling variations for Bean include McBain, Been, McBean, Beaine, MacVain, MacBean, Baine and Bayn. A German spelling of Bean would be Bohne and Biehn. In England across the country there are many individuals with the Bean name. Most live in Norfolk, Essex, Kent, Yorkshire and the city of London. In Scotland there are many with the Bean surname. Most live in Aberdeenshire, Perthshire, Lanarkshire and Angus counties. Within the United States Bean families originated in Massachusetts, New York, Maine, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Illinois, Texas and California. Famous: Alan L. Bean (astronaut), Mollie Bean (a woman in the American Civil War who dressed as a man to serve in the Confederate Army), Phantly Roy Bean Jr.(Justice of the Peace in Texas from his saloon), Orson Bean (television actor), Andy Bean (professional golfer), Marcus Bean (footballer from England) and Colter Bean (professional baseball player). Okay I am done with that search, I am bored of that already. LOL. I think I am going to search for the Bean's of Massachussets since that is where my Grandpa Bean was born. He was born in Somerville, MA.

No comments: